Please respect the rules of our online English speaking clubs.
1) BE ON TIME! If a speaking club starts at 7pm, don't come at 7:10, 7:15 or later. We understand you might have a problem and that's why you're late, but please respect the time. All online English speaking clubs will start and finish at the time that is listed. We will start without you. If you are going to be late, please let us know.
2) RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION People have different opinions about different things and this can be based on cultural or religious reasons. Don't start criticising someone who doesn't think the same as you. Accept it, respect it, and question it.
3) TRY NOT TO SWEAR OR USE BAD LANGUAGE We know swear words are sometimes a great way of expressing your feelings, but try to keep the bad words out of the speaking clubs.
4) PAY! We have FREE English speaking clubs and we have paid ones. If you sign-up for a paid event, make sure you pay. Your place can't be guaranteed until payment has been made. We don't want you to miss out!
5) MAKE SURE YOUR CONNECTION AND MICROPHONE ARE STABLE AND WORKING Before the speaking club starts, test your microphone and make sure it is clear. It's best to test this by recording yourself speaking for 30 seconds. Also, make sure your internet connection is working without problems. Try a test call.
6) NO RELIGION OR POLITICS These are two topics we keep away from, so don't start asking people about their views on Putin or if they think God is real. The only time these topics will be OK to speak about is if the speaking clubs topic is based around it, otherwise, shhhh.
7) ONLY ENGLISH It's called an online English speaking club because the language is English. The reason why everyone has come to the speaking club is to SPEAK ENGLISH. Not Italian, French, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish or Czech. Save those languages for your next speaking club ;)
8) BE KIND If someone uses the wrong word, tense, or mispronounces something, don't laugh. They are here just like you to practise their English speaking skills. It's easy to hate, but be kind, help each other. Everyone is in the same boat here, and if everyone is kind, it'll create a nice atmosphere for our English speaking club.
9) DON'T GIVE ONE WORD ANSWERS The purpose of a speaking club is to speak, speak, speak, and speak some more. Try to avoid giving a one word answer, but if you do because you're worried or feeling nervous the host will ask you follow up questions. Remember speaking clubs are a chance to use your English, so use it, but try not to give really long answers either. Remember, there are other people on the call.
10) Have Fun Make sure you're having fun! If you're not, drop out of the call, and get in contact and we will see how we can deal with your problem and hopefully solve it.
11) No show... No next week... This is a new rule for the FREE English speaking clubs which has had to be introduced to allow everyone the opportunity who wants to come to a FREE speaking club attend. If you sign up for a FREE speaking club, and don't show up without giving any notice, you will not be allowed to sign up for the next FREE English conversation club. You will basically have to 'sit out' a turn. This rule does not apply for The BiG English Speaking Clubs.